Tuesday, March 18, 2014

ABNA 2014!

It's that time again, time for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards!

I had decided not to enter this year, since last year, while having relative success, I felt that my book just wasn't what they were looking for. But, my dear husband convinced me to enter anyway. "What do you have to lose?" he asked. And it was true, if I didn't try because I was afraid of failing, then how was I ever going to get anywhere as a writer? So, once again, with a day or two to spare until the deadline, I threw my novel, A Wife for Miles Bradley, into the contest.

Today the round two entrants were announced, and YES I'm on the list! Last year I made it this far plus into the next round (the quarter finals), and I'm excited to see how far I make it this year. If nothing else, it's a fun experience, and forces me to put myself out there and let others read my work, which is an important step for all of us who are a little shy about sharing our work. After last year's success I found myself a let less timid about letting others look at my work, so if nothing else, these kinds of contests are great for boosting our boldness. So, I encourage all you aspiring writers: don't be afraid to put your work out there if you really want to be successful. Someday you hope that the world will be reading your works, so why not start with your sister or cousin, a reading group or a contest (but, as always, take advice with a grain of salt, and don't let criticism discourage you, let it inspire you to do better!).

Those of us who made it into round two now have to try to forget about the contest for a month, until the top 500 are announced. Best hopes for all who made the first cut!

Oh, and a quick shout-out to my husband who is relentlessly supportive of my writing, and never, ever lets me get down on myself. Also, thanks to all of my wonderful family and friends who have always given me nothing but support. So much love to you all.

For anyone who may be interested, here is the link to the contest page. My book is in the Romance category.

Happy dreaming!

ARose

No comments:

Post a Comment