Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Book Review: A Proper Persuit



Title: A Proper Persuit
Author: Lynn Austin
Publish Date: Sep. 2007 (Bethany House)
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Finally got around to reading this book, which I've been meaning to do for the past year! Lynn Austin was already a favorite author of mine, so I knew I couldn't be too let down, and I wasn't. Lynn writes her stories in a style that feels easy and natural, and the stories she tells are fresh, witty and always have a pleasant surprise thrown in.

In this coming of age adventure, Violet Hayes is a 20-year-old socialite determined to find her mother in 1893 Chicago during the World's Fair. But her time in Chicago holds much more adventure than she could have dreamed and opens her eyes to ways of life she had never imagined.

This book made me chuckle on several occasions-- you can't help but love Violet's dramatic imagination, and yet the story held substance and meaning. The characters are well thought out-- individuals, not cookie cutter heroes and heroines. For me, Lynn Austin's books are what all other Christian Romances should aspire to. I liked this one a lot. There was one fairly passionate kissing scene, which I generally don't like, but compared to "Christian" books I have read that take the whole "kissing, touching, lusting" thing way too far, this felt tame. Aside from that, I think the very end could have played out just slightly different, but I can't get into that without giving away major spoilers. All in all, a fun and fulfilling adventure, and I have no qualms against recommending it to fans of Christian fiction.

It's just good to finally be reading again!

ARose

No comments:

Post a Comment