Thursday, August 2, 2018

Love's Sacred Song by Mesu Andrews

The Biblical Fiction of Mesu Andrews continues to draw me. This is one of her earlier books and I received it from my lovely mother, along with her newest book, for my birthday. I was thrilled because those were the only two I didn't have! While I knew I would enjoy the books, it took me a while to crack one open and start reading. Recently though, my husband and I read through the books of Samuel in the Bible, then moved on into Kings, so when one day I was hit with a sudden need to read something good again, I reached for this one.


While the writing was perhaps not as refined as some of Andrews' later books, this one held me captive and I blazed through the first half in handful of days. But when the book didn't go the direction I thought it would, I slowed down, though didn't lose interest altogether. Even as I write this I am a little torn... Did I like it?

I think my issue is that when I read the story it was not what I pictured behind the book of Songs of Solomon. The portrayal of Solomon particularly, was frustrating to me. The King who was blessed with all wisdom from God was too blind to see conspiracies right under his nose. I really would have liked more examples of Solomon's wisdom in the book, because for most of the story all we get is his foolishness. Yes, he was a man. Yes he made mistakes... But I feel like this portrayal was a little too flawed. Mostly, though, I did enjoy the characters, they were well rounded and well written, with some unique twists, even if the villains were a little cliche.

The story made no secret of its allegorical intent, which is fine, but there were times when I thought perhaps it felt a little forced.

Songs of Solomon itself is a much debated book, so I respect and admire Andrews for taking on the feat of writing this. I was even more impressed when I read her end notes (she always has the best author's notes-- the only ones I bother to read!) and the amount of research, study and time she poured into this book.

So, despite my nitpicks, I did mostly enjoy reading Love's Sacred Song. It nearly brought me to tears many times and frustrated me a lot-- which I do not like in books, but as a writer I know how authors glory in tormenting their readers, so bravo Mesu.

Anyway, I'm sorry this isn't more succinct, but I prefer to write my reviews when the story is fresh on my mind to capture the feelings the book gave me more than anything. Thus I leave you with a mixed jumble of thoughts on a book about which I have mixed feelings.

Good, but not as ageless as Solomon's Wisdom itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment