Wednesday, October 31, 2018

5 Tips for Editing Your Book

There are two types of editing: story editing and technical editing (I don't know if those are the official terms, they're just my terms). Story editing is when you go over your work and make sure the story makes sense- cut scenes, add scenes, clarify scenes, fix dialogue; it's likely you'll do that step several times before your book is ready for technical editing. By "technical editing" I mean going over the grammar, spelling, layout, etc.

For our book, my buddy and I did our own editing and self published. Next time, we might hire someone to do the technical editing because, while we're confident in our writing, we're not pros when it comes to grammar. Even after reviewing things multiple times, typos still made their way through.

But whatever editing you intend to do on your own book, I've learned a few tips that I hope you will find helpful. Here they are:


1. Just dew et!

Editing is like the cleanup after the party. You had your fun writing the story, and now it's time to get your hands dirty. Not so fun. But it doesn't have to be a terrible experience, and if your book really is good, you might even enjoy re-reading your scenes a dozen times (or at least not get too sick of them). But the bottom line is, it needs to be done. You need to make sure this story makes sense. It's easy to put this step off because it's not the fun part, so I'm going to tell you right now, don't do what I've been doing with one of my novels for the last few years-- JUST EDIT.

2. Decide whether you want to do technical editing yourself or hire someone else to do it

I can tell you that after realizing how much work it is to self-publish and polish that final draft, it might be worth it to pay for an editing service or hire a friend or professional (depending on your budget) to do it. So decide what you want to do, and if you decide to do it yourself, it's still a good idea to have a friend (or several friends) look it over in case you missed something, because it's easy to overlook things when you're familiar with the story. Not comfortable sharing your work with others? Refer to tip 5 below.

3. Triple check, then check again

After you've fleshed out the details, get out your fine comb and check again. You will be surprised how many times both of us missed an obvious typo. We're all human and perfection isn't easily achieved, but try to be as thorough as you reasonably can.

4. Work as you are able-- make the most of your time

I have found that for me, I can get a lot done if I just leave my project in plain sight and chip away at it as I am able, but I can get even more done when I sit down for a day and focus. The point is, always try to do something- remember what I said in the writing article? Anything is better than nothing. Your goal should always be to progress, whether it's a few steps or a few miles. It's okay to miss a day now and then, but don't give up, you worked hard for this, now see it through!

5. Let others read your work

Writing comes from our souls and bares a part of us that is vulnerable. As such, it can be difficult to share this most precious piece of ourselves with others initially. But if you intend to share this book with the world someday, it's a good idea to share your finished (or semi-finished) work with a peer first. See how the book makes them feel, get their thoughts. Your first readers don't have to know how to write or what makes a good book -most people don't know why they like or dislike something, so find out how it makes them feel. Take feedback with a grain of salt, of course, because we all have differing opinions, but do consider all criticism and accept it. If you want to be successful you have to be able to take negative opinions and use them constructively.

Whatever you do, enjoy the journey, be true to yourself, and dream big.

No comments:

Post a Comment