Wednesday, November 14, 2018

5 Cozy movies to watch when the weather chills

This crisp weather makes you want to grab grandma's afghan and crawl onto the couch with a warm cuppa and a cozy movie. While Netflix will undoubtedly play host to an invading hoard of sappy Christmas love stories (which I will watch without shame or remorse), here are some not-necessarily-Christmas movies that I like to pull out when the cold weather attacks.


 1. You've Got Mail (1998)



If you haven't seen this movie, stop whatever it is you're doing and go watch it. You've Got Mail is the I Ching. The sum of all wisdom. The answer to any question (if you haven't seen it, then you don't get that quote, but don't worry, you will, because you're about to watch it, right? Riiiight?). This movie abounds in coziness because why? A) It's set in New York city, and somehow the movie industry manages to make the yuckiest city in the country cozy; B) Thanksgiving AND Christmas take place during the movie; C) Coffee and books. D) Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. That is all you need to know.



2. Little Women (1994)

You could watch any of the wonderful Little Women films that have come out over the years, but the one I grew up with that is most dear to my heart is the Winona Ryder version, even if it got some things from the book wrong. This film makes you feel like you're wrapped in a warm sweater by the fireplace darning socks with "Marmy". You will not find a cozier wintertime cozy than Little Women.



3. Emma (1996)

Winter probably isn't the first thing you think of when you remember Gwyneth Paltrow's matchmaking mayhem in Emma, but Jane Austen is for all seasons. I chose this one because there is a scene in which the coziest feathery snow falls during a memorable Christmas party. This little gem deserves more attention than it gets with it's hilariously quotable moments and memorable characters. 



4. The Holiday (2006)

After watching The Holiday for the first time I re-watched it immediately afterwards. It was surprisingly fresh and so, so good! You don't get much cozier than a snow dusted English cottage and Christmas fettuccine! Not to mention, anything with Kate Winslet automatically makes you feel at home, though I chose this film over Titanic because we don't typically associate freezing to death with cozy...

I do need to throw a caveat out that this is the one PG-13 film on my list so there are non kid-friendly moments, though nothing too explicit. 



5. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

The  Disney cartoon, not their live action atrocity. I would argue that this is probably the coziest of all the golden era Disney films, if only because Beast has a fireplace bigger than my living room. And the scene where they drink porridge? And the library when the sun bursts through the windows! Snowball fights! Yes, if one cartoon makes the list, it's this one.


Obviously, there are so many films I could have put on this list, but I limited myself to just five. And these are simply my five, you may not agree- but that's what the comment feature is for! What are your favorite wintertime cozy movies? Remember I'm not talking specifically about Christmas films (perhaps that will be a list for another day), but movies that sort of set the tone for cozy wintertime snuggles. 

Until next week, stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with "You've Got Mail" and "The Holiday" and I shall add "Sense and Sensibility" "Wives and Daughters" and "War Room"

    ReplyDelete