Friday, January 10, 2014

Perfectionism Syndrome

Ever since I got married I have been trying and trying and trying to claw my way back into writing. It's amazing how hard it can be to break back in after being out of it for so long! Planning a wedding was a lot of work, and it had me majorly distracted (don't get me wrong, getting married was a good thing!).

But, the good news is...

 I am writing again!

It's crap,

and it's an average of about 500 words a day,

but it's writing...

 It's something. It's a start.

You see, my biggest challenge is that I feel everything I write must be perfect, and if it's not perfect it's just poopy-diaper awful, but I am forcing myself to follow the motto on one of my favorite shirts-- "Even if it's crap, just get it on the page!" Because sooner or later, all of that crap is going to turn into something great, I just know it!

Do you ever feel hindered by a perfectionistic mindset? It can be completely daunting. The fact is, we are human, we are always growing. All we can ever do is the best we can do with what we have, and hopefully as we use what we have, we'll gain more knowledge and resources and we will get better. Sometimes you just have to fight, even when it feels like it's a losing battle, as long as what you are fighting for is what you believe in, and what you believe in is worth believing in.

Because, let's face it,

in the end there is more to life than your dream, there is love.

So dream a lot, but love more. Don't give up on what really matters. We can make our dreams so important that we want to be perfect in our achievement of them, but what if we applied that same perfectionistic mindset to the way we treat others? What if we chose try harder to never to get offended, and to do our best to never give offense? Of course that would not always be easy either, but I believe it would be just as rewarding (probably more so). Just do your best, no one is asking for more, but always strive to make your best better. If that makes sense.

Thoughts to think on.

ARose

No comments:

Post a Comment